[2.3] Scolsgen: Nec vs Barb Sum (SSF Perspective)

Discuss Median XL!
fr0gbug
Rust Claw
81 | 6
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
CorralTheTroops wrote:
fr0gbug wrote:
CorralTheTroops wrote:The current HC barb leader is a summon barb running Neph spirit + bear stance, and stacking ele damage using %attributes.

How would %attributes help you stack ele damage on summons?

Neph spirit, please look at the notarmory bro.

Please read nephalem spirit, bro.
Morden
Dark Huntress
12 | 6
There was a Necro sam kill whose VK tooltip had 89k. I'd say if these VKs could deal with sam, your AR is more than enough for scos, but you're just griefing yourself using lion stance, you're trading 3k magic damage for the 100% more ewd that wolf stance provides, which almost already cover the magic damage from lion stance, and allows you to get 500 more base vit, not to mention if you have 18+ minions hitting at the same time, the crushing blow becomes an overwhelming source of clear, and the attack speed lowers their frames from 12 to 7 (? not sure) increasing their damage by 70%~~ on that alone.

You're complaining about barb clear in scos being bad and you're using an stance that lowers your own clear by 10 times. You didnt even bother to test how to fix it.

Also as a sidenote, on the hardcore dude, he's using wolf stance for his minions and bear stance for himself. Since stances snapshot on summon, you can summon minions with wolf stance on and switch to bear to keep yourself safe. He's just maxing bear for safety, 1 point wolf stance is enough to cap frames iirc, which is the majority of the damage boost.

Edit : I'm lost on why would he be maxing neph spirit. The minions have no pierce, so neph spirit is around 5% of the damage of minions being optimistic, which is pretty terrible for 14 points.
Edited by Morden 1 year.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Morden wrote:There was a Necro sam kill whose VK tooltip had 89k. I'd say if these VKs could deal with sam, your AR is more than enough for scos, but you're just griefing yourself using lion stance, you're trading 3k magic damage for the 100% more ewd that wolf stance provides, which almost already cover the magic damage from lion stance, and allows you to get 500 more base vit, not to mention if you have 18+ minions hitting at the same time, the crushing blow becomes an overwhelming source of clear, and the attack speed lowers their frames from 12 to 7 (? not sure) increasing their damage by 70%~~ on that alone.

You're complaining about barb clear in scos being bad and you're using an stance that lowers your own clear by 10 times. You didnt even bother to test how to fix it.

Also as a sidenote, on the hardcore dude, he's using wolf stance for his minions and bear stance for himself. Since stances snapshot on summon, you can summon minions with wolf stance on and switch to bear to keep yourself safe. He's just maxing bear for safety, 1 point wolf stance is enough to cap frames iirc, which is the majority of the damage boost.

I didn't know that stances snapshot on summon. Also I really appreciate the explanation about the clear too.
heamn
Gravedigger
182 | 7
Common Popularity Badge
Morden wrote:There was a Necro sam kill whose VK tooltip had 89k. I'd say if these VKs could deal with sam, your AR is more than enough for scos, but you're just griefing yourself using lion stance, you're trading 3k magic damage for the 100% more ewd that wolf stance provides, which almost already cover the magic damage from lion stance, and allows you to get 500 more base vit, not to mention if you have 18+ minions hitting at the same time, the crushing blow becomes an overwhelming source of clear, and the attack speed lowers their frames from 12 to 7 (? not sure) increasing their damage by 70%~~ on that alone.

Edit : I'm lost on why would he be maxing neph spirit. The minions have no pierce, so neph spirit is around 5% of the damage of minions being optimistic, which is pretty terrible for 14 points.

Firstly i thank you for sharing the snapshot trick. The realm barb is still on neph spec for Fauzt farming, and is left as is.
The post is more about the accuracy scaling on barb is too jarringly weak compared to necro, stated in tl;dr at the beginning of the post.
It's either necro is overtuned, or barb is undertuned.

You might have missed my point for the SP Barb demonstration, it's about the accuracy demonstration. Although you are right on Neph Spirit/LionStance.
But trust me, i've done wolfstance/runemaster with 59k guardian spirit accuracy test runs, it's as bad.

Here is another short capture using my SP barb, i do not have the gears for the realm barb for demonstration
Same gears as before, but this round going runemaster and wolfstance, with appropriate minion accuracy %
Didn't swap all the jewels out, to keep %minion dmg hovering at 600% ish.

https://youtu.be/snoodEX7cy8

With 1130% minion accuracy, i was able to push my level 25 guardians close to 84k accuracy rating, and the clear is as good as my necro summoner in set.

Also, my VK on the realm summoner has 62k accuracy rating, with only 404% minion accuracy, which translate to more opportunity to push for better %minion dmg

So it comes back to the tl;dr, my barb is only performing as good after such investment, while the necro while not with amazing speed, at least earned the entry ticket to farm Scosgen in set.

The 2nd revision of Hybrid Abyss+Hawk is doing pretty well

Edit: Please also see the accuracy check that i did with my Javazon, i was surprised that how much accuracy rating i needed.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
fr0gbug wrote:
CorralTheTroops wrote:
fr0gbug wrote:
CorralTheTroops wrote:The current HC barb leader is a summon barb running Neph spirit + bear stance, and stacking ele damage using %attributes.

How would %attributes help you stack ele damage on summons?

Neph spirit, please look at the notarmory bro.

Please read nephalem spirit, bro.

It was changed today to no longer scale %attributes, I didn't know they changed it from soft points to hard points exclusive scaling.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times

I see what you're saying, even at 150%, it's only about 5k mixed ele damage, reduced by enemy resistances. Maybe the slight damage increase is good for scosglen or some other high level farming zone?
Could you say more about capping the as frames of the guardian spirit? It only needs 30% ias?
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Not sure what barbarian summon frames are, could be 12 -> 7, but remember to include their 11 frame AI delay when doing damage calculations.
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Siosilvar wrote:Not sure what barbarian summon frames are, could be 12 -> 7, but remember to include their 11 frame AI delay when doing damage calculations.

Ty
CorralTheTroops
Gravedigger
185 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
heamn wrote:

Firstly i thank you for sharing the snapshot trick. The realm barb is still on neph spec for Fauzt farming, and is left as is.
The post is more about the accuracy scaling on barb is too jarringly weak compared to necro, stated in tl;dr at the beginning of the post.
It's either necro is overtuned, or barb is undertuned.

You might have missed my point for the SP Barb demonstration, it's about the accuracy demonstration. Although you are right on Neph Spirit/LionStance.
But trust me, i've done wolfstance/runemaster with 59k guardian spirit accuracy test runs, it's as bad.

Here is another short capture using my SP barb, i do not have the gears for the realm barb for demonstration
Same gears as before, but this round going runemaster and wolfstance, with appropriate minion accuracy %
Didn't swap all the jewels out, to keep %minion dmg hovering at 600% ish.

https://youtu.be/snoodEX7cy8

With 1130% minion accuracy, i was able to push my level 25 guardians close to 84k accuracy rating, and the clear is as good as my necro summoner in set.

Also, my VK on the realm summoner has 62k accuracy rating, with only 404% minion accuracy, which translate to more opportunity to push for better %minion dmg

So it comes back to the tl;dr, my barb is only performing as good after such investment, while the necro while not with amazing speed, at least earned the entry ticket to farm Scosgen in set.

The 2nd revision of Hybrid Abyss+Hawk is doing pretty well

Edit: Please also see the accuracy check that i did with my Javazon, i was surprised that how much accuracy rating i needed.

Bro that video was so disappointing. I just died at level 125 on HC, and I felt I was doing okay. I was thinking dual max stances and try with wolf snapshotting on my next try, but seeing how little damage you're doing even with full bis gear is so demoralizing.
Including Wolf stance + bloodlust, that is 1000% minion damage + 1000% attack rating, and still not rolling over scosglen yikes :'(
Even spirit reave hit on etherborn was so small wtf :''''(
Only think I can think is try adding Glowing Fungus Relic, it has ideal scaling with summ barb (summon while having cast speed buff from wolf + crazy attack rating scaling + damage scaling), and hits in an area around teleport, which will help give proper directionality to the guardian projectiles.
Thanks a lot for the video, hope that he gets tuned correctly in patch or in 2.4
heamn
Gravedigger
182 | 7
Common Popularity Badge
CorralTheTroops wrote:
Bro that video was so disappointing. I just died at level 125 on HC, and I felt I was doing okay. I was thinking dual max stances and try with wolf snapshotting on my next try, but seeing how little damage you're doing even with full bis gear is so demoralizing.
Including Wolf stance + bloodlust, that is 1000% minion damage + 1000% attack rating, and still not rolling over scosglen yikes :'(
Even spirit reave hit on etherborn was so small wtf :''''(
Only think I can think is try adding Glowing Fungus Relic, it has ideal scaling with summ barb (summon while having cast speed buff from wolf + crazy attack rating scaling + damage scaling), and hits in an area around teleport, which will help give proper directionality to the guardian projectiles.
Thanks a lot for the video, hope that he gets tuned correctly in patch or in 2.4

unless there are some other secret tech that i didnt know, that barb is the best i could do atm, at least within he basic kit from the talent tree.

yep, glowing fungus brings alot to the table, earlier testing i totally forgot about wolf buff gives cast speed, with the same snapshot logic you can summon fungus within the wolf buff to milk the most out of it.

need about 333 cast speed to cap spell focus, and about 1.4k minion accu to hit 170 pierce.