The TLDR 2H Barb

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
sm0cker
Stone Warrior
34 | 3
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Now THAT is interesting. Another 8-9% chance to proc.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Yeah indeed, cool change.
So if you assume 2h bonus 0.16% per 1 str, in order to get 12% proc chance just from strength bonus, we need 5250 str.
If you equip T4 Shroud Royale with this setup that is 123% ewd there, Invictus the same, + it has additional up to +100 roll. Not sure if it is worth though, since again, 1h base damage is pretty important.

This could push single target to fairly competitive levels?
If I take my old pre Tectonic barb, and I can get triple amount of SOR on the tough targets compared to wthat I had before, this could be playable in scosglen/lab.

edit:

Got little carried away, line says proc chance per strength, doesn't seem to have anything to do with ewd on weapon.
So you gonna get flat proc chance depending on total strength, regardless on what weapon you are using (2h 1h, class or unarmed).
I hear its 1% chance per 700 str. So for that benchmark count of 5000 str on lategame barb, you get extra 7% chance to proc. Less then expected, and no option to do any crazy combos with items such as shroud royal or invictus (that increase str ewd bonus).
It is still good bonus, but it seems like we gonna build very similar to before and just accept that extra proc chance as free boost.
Realistically it looks like a build with good damage weapon, like Grief rw, craft or Gotter, that 5-6k strength, our total proc chance should be around 20% with all of this.
youtube.com/ae1337
fr0gbug
Rust Claw
81 | 6
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
aerial wrote:Yeah indeed, cool change.
So if you assume 2h bonus 0.16% per 1 str, in order to get 12% proc chance just from strength bonus, we need 5250 str.
If you equip T4 Shroud Royale with this setup that is 123% ewd there, Invictus the same, + it has additional up to +100 roll. Not sure if it is worth though, since again, 1h base damage is pretty important.

This could push single target to fairly competitive levels?
If I take my old pre Tectonic barb, and I can get triple amount of SOR on the tough targets compared to wthat I had before, this could be playable in scosglen/lab.

edit:

Got little carried away, line says proc chance per strength, doesn't seem to have anything to do with ewd on weapon.
So you gonna get flat proc chance depending on total strength, regardless on what weapon you are using (2h 1h, class or unarmed).
I hear its 1% chance per 700 str. So for that benchmark count of 5000 str on lategame barb, you get extra 7% chance to proc. Less then expected, and no option to do any crazy combos with items such as shroud royal or invictus (that increase str ewd bonus).
It is still good bonus, but it seems like we gonna build very similar to before and just accept that extra proc chance as free boost.
Realistically it looks like a build with good damage weapon, like Grief rw, craft or Gotter, that 5-6k strength, our total proc chance should be around 20% with all of this.

TU gilded shield and TU full plate mail additional strength damage bonus lines do work with tectonics and SOR upgrade, they have since the skills were introduced because the additional strength bonus gets added to the character sheet as EWD not STR bonus from weapon.

I wish this direction of design was just abandoned and reworked. This pushes EQ/SOR barb even further in the direction of just using 1h/shield and not 2h. You can gain far more tectonics %proc with that setup not to mention faster frames for more chances at procs. TU gilded shield and full plate mail are going to remain extremely strong, possibly competitive with any endgame options. It's gonna be a lot of raining rocks but I still don't think the damage will be very impressive compared to top meta builds.
smiechu
Prowler
16 | 0
What about aptitude? Might work fine aswell, depending on skillpoint progression (+10% per skill or less?). Free dmg + even more SoR chance
fr0gbug
Rust Claw
81 | 6
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
smiechu wrote:What about aptitude? Might work fine aswell, depending on skillpoint progression (+10% per skill or less?). Free dmg + even more SoR chance

It's minimum 36 skill pts to get 200% EWD at 140, I'm not saying it's not going to be worth it, idk, but it's not a no brainer ez pickup.
smiechu
Prowler
16 | 0
fr0gbug wrote:
smiechu wrote:What about aptitude? Might work fine aswell, depending on skillpoint progression (+10% per skill or less?). Free dmg + even more SoR chance

It's minimum 36 skill pts to get 200% EWD at 140, I'm not saying it's not going to be worth it, idk, but it's not a no brainer ez pickup.

So it is just +1% per skillpoint? :c

edit:

ok I get it now
Bonus depends on character level above 120 up to a cap
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
fr0gbug wrote:TU gilded shield and TU full plate mail additional strength damage bonus lines do work with tectonics and SOR upgrade, they have since the skills were introduced because the additional strength bonus gets added to the character sheet as EWD not STR bonus from weapon.

I wish this direction of design was just abandoned and reworked. This pushes EQ/SOR barb even further in the direction of just using 1h/shield and not 2h. You can gain far more tectonics %proc with that setup not to mention faster frames for more chances at procs. TU gilded shield and full plate mail are going to remain extremely strong, possibly competitive with any endgame options. It's gonna be a lot of raining rocks but I still don't think the damage will be very impressive compared to top meta builds.

Ok thanks for clearing this up, I wasn't playing patch when Tectonics was added, so I didn't know that.
In that case, it only makes weapon type irrelevant, but those sources of ewd still count.
Also another thing thats little surprisg to me, is that speeds are different for some time, I used to use the java tool speedcalc, and it seems to be outdated. The website one seems to have most recent data. And there 1h+shield = 6fpa, which used to not be the case some time ago. This is the same as dual wield (0 point of doing that then), and 2h sword used as 2h is also 6 frames.
This makes 1h weapons really competitive, something like
Gharaniq

Gharaniq
Barbarian Swords, Barbarian One-Handed Axes
Except Barbarian Two-Ha

'JahSilElq'
Runeword Level: 100
+(3 to 4) to Barbarian Skill Levels
Adds 5-10 Damage
Adds 120-115 Damage
+(171 to 200)% Enhanced Damage
Weapon Physical Damage +(60 to 80)%
+(81 to 100) to Strength
+(225 to 250) to Dexterity
5% Chance to Avoid Damage
relatively cheap high runeword, tons of stats, +250 flat damage. That paired with invictus, should rival best 2h. Math behind Gotter is little more complex, because of how strong mega impact can be against some bosses though.
Ayway with 6k str, just str bonus alone adds 2% sor from shroud royal, and same from invictus (and another 1% from generic 100 ewd thats on it). So total of extra 5% from 2 of these items, pretty powerful. This could push endgame chance to proc, to roughly 25% with 6 fpa attack speed. That is little more than 1 sor per second on avg from procs. Which is 2x the damage of actually using regular sor every 2s.
Thers always an option to go
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Bull Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (3466 - 3837) to (4194 - 4593)
Chance to Block: 1%
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 90
Required Strength: 500
Required Dexterity: 374
Item Level: 1
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
Adds 50-100 Damage
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
+(500 to 1000) Defense
Maximum Cold Resist +1%
Cold Resist +(31 to 50)%
Socketed (4)

Mount Arreat
(Barbarian Earthshaker Set)
too, 50min 100 max flat damage, on a 1h setup is big, and you still get up to 80ewd from set bonus + set helm.
If you compare this to pre Tectonics patches, how build was dealing with Scosglen, and then assume sor would deal roughly triple the damage, combined with fact itll deliver it quicker, EQ will also deal more single target (due to recent patch note that remains to be seen how effective that is). Then also factor in limits to how often enemies can teleport, that is quite long list of various buffs. It could feel ok with all these changes.

As for the new thrower passives, weather they are worth it or not.
Take a look at Bloodthirst as well, if you have wolf stance for Aptitude, Bloodthirst grants crit chance (another version of deadly strike basically). You could reach very high number there too, and thers still one more passive to get.
It would still feel bad to have 30 points dumped into axe throwing skill, that you will never use. I wish you could at least put these points in fortress, which would be at least something usable as melee.
youtube.com/ae1337
fr0gbug
Rust Claw
81 | 6
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
aerial wrote:Ok thanks for clearing this up, I wasn't playing patch when Tectonics was added, so I didn't know that.
In that case, it only makes weapon type irrelevant, but those sources of ewd still count.
Also another thing thats little surprisg to me, is that speeds are different for some time, I used to use the java tool speedcalc, and it seems to be outdated. The website one seems to have most recent data. And there 1h+shield = 6fpa, which used to not be the case some time ago. This is the same as dual wield (0 point of doing that then), and 2h sword used as 2h is also 6 frames.
This makes 1h weapons really competitive, something like
Gharaniq

Gharaniq
Barbarian Swords, Barbarian One-Handed Axes
Except Barbarian Two-Ha

'JahSilElq'
Runeword Level: 100
+(3 to 4) to Barbarian Skill Levels
Adds 5-10 Damage
Adds 120-115 Damage
+(171 to 200)% Enhanced Damage
Weapon Physical Damage +(60 to 80)%
+(81 to 100) to Strength
+(225 to 250) to Dexterity
5% Chance to Avoid Damage
relatively cheap high runeword, tons of stats, +250 flat damage. That paired with invictus, should rival best 2h. Math behind Gotter is little more complex, because of how strong mega impact can be against some bosses though.
Ayway with 6k str, just str bonus alone adds 2% sor from shroud royal, and same from invictus (and another 1% from generic 100 ewd thats on it). So total of extra 5% from 2 of these items, pretty powerful. This could push endgame chance to proc, to roughly 25% with 6 fpa attack speed. That is little more than 1 sor per second on avg from procs. Which is 2x the damage of actually using regular sor every 2s.
Thers always an option to go
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Bull Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (3466 - 3837) to (4194 - 4593)
Chance to Block: 1%
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 90
Required Strength: 500
Required Dexterity: 374
Item Level: 1
+2 to Barbarian Skill Levels
Adds 50-100 Damage
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
+(500 to 1000) Defense
Maximum Cold Resist +1%
Cold Resist +(31 to 50)%
Socketed (4)

Mount Arreat
(Barbarian Earthshaker Set)
too, 50min 100 max flat damage, on a 1h setup is big, and you still get up to 80ewd from set bonus + set helm.
If you compare this to pre Tectonics patches, how build was dealing with Scosglen, and then assume sor would deal roughly triple the damage, combined with fact itll deliver it quicker, EQ will also deal more single target (due to recent patch note that remains to be seen how effective that is). Then also factor in limits to how often enemies can teleport, that is quite long list of various buffs. It could feel ok with all these changes.

As for the new thrower passives, weather they are worth it or not.
Take a look at Bloothrist as well, if you have wolf stance for Aptitude, Bloothrist grants crit chance (another version of deadly strike basically). You could reach very high number there too, and thers still one more passive to get.
It would still feel bad to have 30 points dumped into axe throwing skill, that you will never use. I wish you could at least put these points in fortress, which would be at least something usable as melee.

If I made one this patch I'd probably go for Gharaniq weapon in eth kriegsmesser, can reach very good damage at clvl 140 with x5 ED% and 2x Larzuk Round Shot before RW. I'd probably hold that as my only source of flat phys though, I think the strength of aftermath magic damage is overlooked. Dropping TU gilded shield for snowstorm gains some decent flat physical sure, but the loss of big EWD and stats via more MO space weakens the added magic dmg from aftermath by a considerable amount. In the past I've had my best clears in Scosglen (nowhere close to meta farm speed) with EQ barb with this setup. Given the sizable buffs since the 2 patches I've played it, as well as many more accessible sources of extra EWD it will undoutedly be better. Maybe I will push one after I play the other builds I want to try this patch, don't think it's going to end up being super impressive though still.

EDIT: I'm not sure if either the reworked SU/SSU Ida base swords' effects will work DW but if they do it could be another option for an impressive phys dmg route. 1 sec SOR CD (same as the %proc rate you theorycrafted) with weapon dmg probably comparable to Gotter (spitballing here I don't remember what wolf dmg is when maxed because the dmg was always irrelevant).
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1073 | 26
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Deathgaze:
- Now gains bonus cold damage per Skill Level, with big scaling above Skill Level 28
- Now converts 50% of Physical damage to Cold

Boarfrost:
- Replaced Crushing Blow with +10 to Deathgaze

This is good news.
OoThomioO
Fallen
1 | 0
Is there a path to leveling as 1h'r for the season start? Or is this still 2h leveling until swapping into RW + shield?