Ice Battle Mage (Cold Sorc)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
iseraph wrote:WIll there be a 2.0 update? :)

yes, give me til the end of the day or a few hours
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Playing a melee sorc right now and just wanted to say that I am fascinated by the potential of a hybrid build that uses Glacial Torrent + Moonstrike with the Cold Blooded passive. Probably with Nova Charge so you could just stack Dex and cold spell damage...

Pretty much limits you to
Zann Esu's Charm
Zann Esu's Charm
Jared's Stone (Sacred)

One-Hand Damage: 40 to 43
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 80
Required Dexterity: 242
Item Level: 1
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.11 per Dexterity)%
+(3 to 4) to Sorceress Skill Levels
30% Cast Speed
-(20 to 24)% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+(41 to 60)% to Summoned Minion Life
+(31 to 40) to Strength
+158 to Mana
Maximum Cold Resist +2%
Socketed (3)

Zann Esu's Secrets
(Sorceress Cold Set)
or
Atanna's Key
Atanna's Key
Clasped Orb (Sacred)

One-Hand Damage: 39 to 41
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 188
Item Level: 120
2% Chance to cast level 1 Force Blast on Death Blow
+(6 to 7) to Sorceress Skill Levels
+(30 to 40)% to Cold Spell Damage
-(25 to 30)% to Enemy Cold Resistance
Maximum Life +3%
Maximum Cold Resist +5%
(100 to 200)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (2)
. AoE would be very limited but I'm curious if it could work.
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Siosilvar wrote:Playing a melee sorc right now and just wanted to say that I am fascinated by the potential of a hybrid build that uses Glacial Torrent + Moonstrike with the Cold Blooded passive. Probably with Nova Charge so you could just stack Dex and cold spell damage...

Pretty much limits you to
Zann Esu's Charm
Zann Esu's Charm
Jared's Stone (Sacred)

One-Hand Damage: 40 to 43
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 80
Required Dexterity: 242
Item Level: 1
+(3 to 4) to Sorceress Skill Levels
30% Cast Speed
-(20 to 24)% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+(41 to 60)% to Summoned Minion Life
+(31 to 40) to Strength
+158 to Mana
Maximum Cold Resist +2%
Socketed (3)

Zann Esu's Secrets
(Sorceress Cold Set)
or
Atanna's Key
Atanna's Key
Clasped Orb (Sacred)

One-Hand Damage: 39 to 41
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 188
Item Level: 120
2% Chance to cast level 1 Force Blast on Death Blow
+(6 to 7) to Sorceress Skill Levels
+(30 to 40)% to Cold Spell Damage
-(25 to 30)% to Enemy Cold Resistance
Maximum Life +3%
Maximum Cold Resist +5%
(100 to 200)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (2)
. AoE would be very limited but I'm curious if it could work.

i agree, there is potential of a hybrid melee build. the problem is i dont think youd want to stack dexterity. you would want to base your class around energy; Glacial Torrent is a energy based skill (requires alot of energy) to be incredibly good. Another problem is that Glacial Torrent is a single target skill. i think if you want to make this build work. you would probably need to invest into moonstrike MAX , then use glacial torrent and fussilade for clear speeding. also i wouldn't limit yourself to those weapons , there are many other options you can go through like that cold damage sword. Going through all the SU's there are many ways to make it work. just look for main stats such as : energy / cold spell damage / pierce / innate damage i think might help. Another thing ; you wouldnt need to stack that much dexterity anymore because block chance is now capped at 50% unless items give more, other wise its not something you wanna heavily invest in.

*** Guide Updated ****

will be creating videos of gameplay and bossing , just need some time to create them.
loreth2021
Thunder Beetle
55 | 0
Hi,

quick questions:

im atm 79, grinding T3-T4 TU's (lunarsong, celestial crown, wheel of fortune, nightscape, aerin);

1) for the str/dex reqs- you just socket pg's in armor for +5% str/dex bonus? or maybe i am too low on str/dex overall- atm 142str, 139dex, 23 pts left (rest in energy)

2) maybe some examples of good honorific items for early game would be cool! right now i crafted "Kali" for +2 all skills

3) did you tested also fire/flamefront and light/forked//tempest sorc builds, or would you say that cold is superior with 2.0?

thanks!
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
loreth2021 wrote:Hi,

quick questions:

im atm 79, grinding T3-T4 TU's (lunarsong, celestial crown, wheel of fortune, nightscape, aerin);

1) for the str/dex reqs- you just socket pg's in armor for +5% str/dex bonus? or maybe i am too low on str/dex overall- atm 142str, 139dex, 23 pts left (rest in energy)

2) maybe some examples of good honorific items for early game would be cool! right now i crafted "Kali" for +2 all skills

3) did you tested also fire/flamefront and light/forked//tempest sorc builds, or would you say that cold is superior with 2.0?

thanks!

1) i used pgems for energy and you can absolutely use pgems for str/dex boost in order to use your gear.

2) a good honorific would be such as ; mystic orbed with Strength / Spell Focus / Cold Spell Damage / Energy / Elemental Resists

3) i have yet to play lightning or fire sorc , i wasnt able to play beta for that long. however , imo cold sorc is in a good spot for 2.0 100%
krastinov
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
How is cold sorc supposed to do some if not most of the bosses? Teleport onto them and glacial torrent? I can't see that ending well.
Also I'm not convinced you can clear efficiently with such a small aoe centered on you, and the telestomp seems to have a way too long cooldown when compared to others, such as necro.
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
krastinov wrote:How is cold sorc supposed to do some if not most of the bosses? Teleport onto them and glacial torrent? I can't see that ending well.
Also I'm not convinced you can clear efficiently with such a small aoe centered on you, and the telestomp seems to have a way too long cooldown when compared to others, such as necro.

for bossing you wanna let your elementals tank and you go in casting frigid nova once or just walking in and out attacking the boss maybe like 1-3 times with Glacial Torrent each time you run in or so. also i agree 100% the cool down on Winter Tide is way too long compared to other teleport skills. however, the change is not up to me :/. another thing, I will be making videos of boss killing so there will be examples of how to clear them.
loreth2021
Thunder Beetle
55 | 0
Dru wrote:

quick questions:

thanks!

1) i used pgems for energy and you can absolutely use pgems for str/dex boost in order to use your gear.

2) a good honorific would be such as ; mystic orbed with Strength / Spell Focus / Cold Spell Damage / Energy / Elemental Resists

3) i have yet to play lightning or fire sorc , i wasnt able to play beta for that long. however , imo cold sorc is in a good spot for 2.0 100%

hi, thanks for your fast answer!

so- it's better to just put points into dex+str? this would mean: for early game <lvl105, i need at least: 288dex and 288/292 str for your suggested gear.

this would leave me with around 100-130 in energy. i dont count amulet+rings, as they are harder to find than other gear.
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
loreth2021 wrote:
Dru wrote:

quick questions:

thanks!

hi, thanks for your fast answer!

so- it's better to just put points into dex+str? this would mean: for early game <lvl105, i need at least: 288dex and 288/292 str for your suggested gear.

this would leave me with around 100-130 in energy. i dont count amulet+rings, as they are harder to find than other gear.

honestly i dont have anything in my sockets right now and im steamrolling content. i used my earned stat points and placed them into enough for str and dex to wear items and dumped everything else into energy. So far its working well without putting anything inside the sockets; that means you have room to improve the build beyond its capabilities.
krastinov
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
Dru wrote:
krastinov wrote:How is cold sorc supposed to do some if not most of the bosses? Teleport onto them and glacial torrent? I can't see that ending well.

for bossing you wanna let your elementals tank and you go in casting frigid nova once or just walking in and out attacking the boss maybe like 1-3 times with Glacial Torrent each time you run in or so. also i agree 100% the cool down on Winter Tide is way too long compared to other teleport skills. however, the change is not up to me :/. another thing, I will be making videos of boss killing so there will be examples of how to clear them.

thx for your answer, I'll give this char a try!