Physical Throw Barb - A True Warmonger's Guide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
GameFan
Jungle Hunter
29 | 14
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide

A TRUE WARMONGER'S GUIDE

A little introduction

2.7 Changes + corrections

► Show Spoiler

One of the reworked classes for 2.6, the Phys Throw Barb became one of the strongest builds, pushing ladder and high tier labs, and being good enough that after ~200 hours with 4 other classes I could still play this build without being bored. Video format from this guide coming soonTM.

Pros

A beginner version is not only SSF viable, but reliably clears even Scosglen
    Main DPS stance is Wolf Stance, so huge speed is guaranteed
    Scales really well - with enough input it confidently clears T10 Lab
    Phys Weapon DMG based - lifesteal will frequently full-heal in tougher situations
    Brain-off playstyle - attack, move, attack, move and you're done!
    Up to 1.5 MILLION Defense - low chance for enemies to hit you even in end-game zones
    Easiest 90% All res for any character I've played

Cons

Recovery depending on Lifesteal means if you can't attack constantly you'll be dead
    Not great single-target DMG
    End-game setup uses 5 runewords and some rather rare items, so transitioning might be difficult

Breakpoints:

► Show Spoiler

Leveling - Normal and Nightmare

► Show Spoiler

HELL - FROM 105 TO AS HIGH AS WE WANT

Getting to Hell, and farming some of the early ubers should be no problem. As long as you've upgraded your Tiered Uniques to Tier 4, have at least 75% all resistances, Hell should be a breeze. If not, don't worry about going back to Nightmare to get some more stuff, you lose nothing by a little backtracking.

Starter / More SSF Friendly setup

► Show Spoiler

Mid-game / No-set

► Show Spoiler

End-Game

► Show Spoiler

Ubers

► Show Spoiler

Thank you so much for reading this guide, hopefully you'll manage to overcome the challenges you're facing with this build. In case you have any questions you can find in the MedianXL Discord, on here, on YT etc.

Good luck with your build - and until my next guide

SEE YOU IN SANCTUARY

Edited by GameFan 4 months.
Based
Acid Prince
48 | 1
At what point is it actually worth starting to use other pieces except the set? I have a Dragon Seed and can make Wind Runner if i farm the Stone runes real quick but the damage on Stampede shows lower just using Dragon Seed. Does the deadly strike make up for the loss of a few hundred damage?
Jacma
Destroyer
6 | 0
Damage shown on character page adds also another source of damage to show (total amount of phys+magic+elemental). You propably write about Hunter's Claw Fist? It adds Innate Lightning Damage: (33.0% of Strength) so your damage on character page shows more damage, but you deal less phys damage comparing it to Dragon Seed. You can test it using Training Dummy arena in act1.
Using set instead of Wild runners is worth with going Gladiator dominance and different skillpoint tree, thing is you need to fill the -4 max res gap, so t6+ labs will be harder and less def will be a trouble.
To the creator of guide
Thanks for writting such thing. This is propably 1st throwing barb guide. But imo you should try to read another guides (inspire yourself with making list of everything you want to involve in your guide), you forgot to write about umos for every item for example
I would not agree with not strong single target damage, it still outdamages 2h barb a lot
Spend time comparing your finished build vs different playstyles (gladiator dominance fe.)
Make test with different skillpoints, the one you wrote are medicore, specialization and wolf stance is 15 hard points for 10%ms, 70%ewd and little phys damage on stampede (it still does %wpn damage with little flat phys increase)
Build without arrogance barely reach 50%PR (with good roll on dyers eye), think about another alternatives.
Instead of making another guide, maybe focus on this one to correct things, add something because if next guide looks like this one, it won't bring any attention.
Good luck
crashuh
Skeleton
3 | 0
New player here to median have been playing diablos since Diablo 1 lol. Trying out a couple builds, and this seems like a fun build. The skills you put down for leveling in normal and nightmare, does it matter in what order you go, or is there a specific order of skills which would benefit the most?
Based
Acid Prince
48 | 1
Jacma wrote:Damage shown on character page adds also another source of damage to show (total amount of phys+magic+elemental). You propably write about Hunter's Claw Fist? It adds Innate Lightning Damage: (33.0% of Strength) so your damage on character page shows more damage, but you deal less phys damage comparing it to Dragon Seed. You can test it using Training Dummy arena in act1.
Using set instead of Wild runners is worth with going Gladiator dominance and different skillpoint tree, thing is you need to fill the -4 max res gap, so t6+ labs will be harder and less def will be a trouble.

You know i completely forgot the training dummy existed lol. Thanks tho, makes sense.

crashuh wrote:New player here to median have been playing diablos since Diablo 1 lol. Trying out a couple builds, and this seems like a fun build. The skills you put down for leveling in normal and nightmare, does it matter in what order you go, or is there a specific order of skills which would benefit the most?

Just try to balance Stampede and Mountain King/Wolf Stance levels since mana can be an issue while leveling, try to find jewlery with mana leech or mana after every kill. The build destroys acts in its current state, especially once you get TUs. I almost always go 1 point into meditation as well til 50 (free respecs til then) or ~100.
stratosthegreek
Destroyer
7 | 0
Could you give a breakdown of priority MOs we should use?
sm0cker
Stone Warrior
34 | 3
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
It seems that sigil of absolution does not work with runewords/bases at all, even after you apply Mos/Umos on it.
masochista
Core Lord
395 | 28
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
sm0cker wrote:It seems that sigil of absolution does not work with runewords/bases at all, even after you apply Mos/Umos on it.

It never worked with items that are regular or superior, and runewords are considered that item
sm0cker
Stone Warrior
34 | 3
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
If so, then how does weapon RW process mentioned in the guide works ? I failed to repeat it.
quocbaost
Jungle Hunter
26 | 0
sm0cker wrote:If so, then how does weapon RW process mentioned in the guide works ? I failed to repeat it.

hmmm, I think there's a bit of a mistake here, because that's impossible.