Need help installing the mod?
Tnt1094
Abomination
156 | 16
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
kurnis wrote:
Tnt1094 wrote:
kurnis wrote:Can't get it to work. Any tips? Installation is pretty vague on github

Copied into installation folder and set median xl to 3dfx glide...but when it loads I get stuck at this opening cinematic repeating over and over

if I press esc the game closes

it doesn't work in 3dfx mode, only in ddraw mode(direct 2d)

But in the installation instructions it says NOT to copy ddraw.dll over to the game folder because the game no longer uses software rendering.

so...no ddraw

Plus when I try Ddraw anyways, d2gl doesnt work. No high fps and no menu access. Just doesn't work.

How did you get it to work?

bro, of course I understand everything, but before asking stupid questions, you could read the thread THERE IT IS CLEARLY WRITTEN THAT THROUGH 3dfx d2gl is not supported in median xl (there will be a cropped top piece of the screen) until the d2gl developer wants to add support, and that works only through ddraw (direct 2d, d2gl works through open gl, unlike d2dx which works through 11directx) you set it in the launcher direct 2d, make a game.exe shortcut and play, there are also settings when you press cntrl + o, there are function from d2dx motion prediction this will give you "real high fps" only it works crookedly unlike d2dx there are bugs with particle fading, so I don't recommend using it better use d2dx
kurnis
Acid Prince
49 | 0
Tnt1094 wrote:
kurnis wrote:
Tnt1094 wrote:
kurnis wrote:Can't get it to work. Any tips? Installation is pretty vague on github

Copied into installation folder and set median xl to 3dfx glide...but when it loads I get stuck at this opening cinematic repeating over and over

But in the installation instructions it says NOT to copy ddraw.dll over to the game folder because the game no longer uses software rendering.

so...no ddraw

Plus when I try Ddraw anyways, d2gl doesnt work. No high fps and no menu access. Just doesn't work.

bro, of course I understand everything, but before asking stupid questions, you could read the thread THERE IT IS CLEARLY WRITTEN THAT THROUGH 3dfx d2gl is not supported in median xl (there will be a cropped top piece of the screen) until the d2gl developer wants to add support, and that works only through ddraw (direct 2d, d2gl works through open gl, unlike d2dx which works through 11directx) you set it in the launcher direct 2d, make a game.exe shortcut and play, there are also settings when you press cntrl + o, there are function from d2dx motion prediction this will give you "real high fps" only it works crookedly unlike d2dx there are bugs with particle fading, so I don't recommend using it better use d2dx

damn bro, no need to be rude. How the fuck am I supposed to know you "understand everything" lol. You're literally just some noname rando on the internet and I was trying to be thorough with what I was seeing on my end.

My two g9 oleds arrive tomorrow so I'll probably be playing something else instead of trying to make this work..
Maybe I'll come back sometime and give it another shot. Thanks for your help tho. Have a good day!
Tnt1094
Abomination
156 | 16
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
kurnis wrote:
Tnt1094 wrote:
kurnis wrote:
Tnt1094 wrote:

so...no ddraw

damn bro, no need to be rude. How the fuck am I supposed to know you "understand everything" lol. You're literally just some rando on the internet and I was trying to be thorough with what I was seeing on my end.

Maybe I'll come back sometime and give it another shot. Thanks for your help tho. Have a good day!

I don’t know where you saw rudeness, I pointed out your inattention, I wanted to help you so that you read everything carefully, you say that nothing works that you don’t need to install ddraw, you Americans can be strange, so for you I installed d2gl and went into the game to show everything works greatImage
Pooque
Dark Huntress
13 | 6
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Fix for crash with hd text in funcs.cpp:
uint32_t __fastcall getNormalTextNWidthHooked(const wchar_t* str, const int n_chars)
{
if (wcscmp(str, L"Levels") == 0)
return getNormalTextNWidth(str, n_chars);

if (modules::HDText::Instance().isActive())
return modules::HDText::Instance().getNormalTextWidth(str, n_chars);
}

Fix for glide in wrapper.cpp:
in GrContext_t Wrapper::grSstWinOpen:
App dot game dot size = { 1024, 768 };
Edited by Pooque 9 months.
Thorinori
Dark Huntress
11 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Pooque wrote:Fix for crash with hd text in funcs.cpp:
uint32_t __fastcall getNormalTextNWidthHooked(const wchar_t* str, const int n_chars)
{
if (wcscmp(str, L"Levels") == 0)

if (modules::HDText::Instance().isActive())
return modules::HDText::Instance().getNormalTextWidth(str, n_chars);
}

Fix for glide in wrapper.cpp:
in GrContext_t Wrapper::grSstWinOpen:
App dot game dot size = { 1024, 768 };

Tested it out and worked great for making a game. Good job with getting a fix out! I would recommend submitting it as an actual pull request on Github. Any chance you would have any idea what is preventing it from working right with sigma-loader as well? Picking between d2gl and d2stats is rough XD
asmael
Skeleton
3 | 2
I've tinkered a bit around d2dx, d2gl and reshade. Definetely can make something pretty clean. I'd favor d2gl + reshade because of the HD options and simple in-game settings menus. This might be long and i might've missed some things but that should cover most of what i've done to make it to work. Credits to everyone that have been working on marvelous addons and contributions to make this game look marvelous.

Step 1 : Fresh D2 install to get rid of all the other wrappers (I always keep a clean copy of the base D2, unless you know which files to remove)

Step 2 : Change Game.exe and Diablo II.exe -Compatibility- To Windows XP SP3 and Administrator

Step 3 : Download and Install the Median XL launcher, run as Administrator, follow the prompt to select your D2 folder and let it do it's things.

Step 4 : Get the attachment from Here -Currently this is the fixed version provided by @pooque which enables HD Cursor and Font to work properly in TSW without crashing the game. Copy and overwrite those files into your D2 folder.

Step 5 : Go into the Launcher's Settings and change the Video Mode to 3DFX Glide and run the video test and confirm it's on 3dfx glide after the test finished. Close and re-open to confirm it's up to date. **PS: You can use directdraw, but i don't think Reshade will work.**

At this point you are done, you can play the game by launching it with the launcher, no need for fancy -3dfx in game.exe or anything else. Ctrl-O when the game launches, settings as required and game on.

(Optional) Step 6 : Follow the guide from @Zefir Here -Get Reshade (google it) if you want to have customized side border in 4:3 otherwise you can keep the black side boxes or play stretched by using the Ctrl+O (from d2gl) after launching the game and putting the settings as you want. The game is in 4:3, so in full screen that are 16:9 you will have black borders.

(Optional) Step 7 : Install Reshade, follow the prompts by navigating to your D2 MXL folder and selecting your game.exe, then select OpenGL as the install option and the shaders you want. (the more you pick the longer it will load, I recommend trying the first 2-3 sets or all and then single out the ones you will use. **I've used personally used - Layer, Tonemap, Curves, HDR, and played with the sliders a little to my preference. You can always uninstall Reshade by running the install again and choosing uninstall. Just make sure you copy all the other files over everytime you do this in case the uninstaller removes some of them.

(Optional) Step 8 : Make sure you grab the "DefaultPreset.ini" from 2nd Decorator and the layer.png of your liking, check in the other pages of @Zefir's there's a few nice ones.. that layer.png will need to be put inside the folder generated by Reshade as listed in @Zefir's guide. HOWEVER, I recommend going to an upscaller as suggested by @Lazerhawk Here Upscale the picture to the highest, put it into paintnet and resize it to your desired windowed or fullscreen size, in my case i'm running the game on a 4k monitor in fullscreen, i resized the layer.png to 3840x2160.

(Optional) Step 9 : Once the game is launched, there's going to be all sort of things going on, first open d2gl with Ctrl+O and select your desired resolution and Apply the settings, open Reshade with "Home" and follow the instructions, once you get to the .fx tab. disable everything and enable Layer.fx, at the bottom, you should see an Edit global preprocessor definitions popping up, if not hit finish, switch tabs and come back. Under Layer.fx You want to change the LAYER_SIZE_X to your monitor size, in my case 3840 and hit enter, and do the same with the Y = 2160, and put the scale to 1.000.
Switch on and off the other .fx you want to play with and play with the sliders until you get what you want.

** The Reshade window can be opened with the "Home" key, the key can be changed afterwards if you want to use D2Stats, conflicting keybinds makes D2Stats take priority over Reshade, I changed mine to Insert and removed the Insert from D2Stats as i don't use the copy item text.**

My current monitor looks like this Image Resized because forums doesn't like 4k pictures.

I hope this can help some of you and if anyone has to add anything or use any of this for guidance feel free! Happy hunting in 2.6.
Bonk1007
Imp
5 | 0
This is very yummy, also thanks for the fixed files. Only thing i cant get to work is the d2gl minimap. Am i missing something or does it straight up not work right now?
Pooque
Dark Huntress
13 | 6
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
:thinking:
Edited by Pooque 9 months.
Bonk1007
Imp
5 | 0
Here we go. Thank you <3
juniperleafes
Sasquatch
62 | 1
Crashes on startup if I choose glide3x in Median XL launcher. Have to set it to DirectDraw2d and then run Game.exe. Also for some reason the minimap feature doesn't work

EDIT: nvm Pooque's dll works with minimap, although game information text is on top of it. Weird how everyone's install is different