2.7 - Holy Shock Psicrown din (A (not so) meme experience)

Share your videos and screenshots
CMBurns
Gravedigger
194 | 51
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
!!!2.7 DISCLAIMER!!!
The 2.7 update gave Psicrown 100% extra damage. This makes it far better than before at doing bosses. It also can now officially do scosglen, though you may still struggle with the big tree guys, but that's more the fault of an auto-targetting skill hitting only the wrong stuff.

- Vindicate now lasts longer.
- Both neutral din buffs can be cast with 1 button!

!!!WARNING!!!
This build requires a fairly extreme amount of investment to feel good. It will not lab. It will however obliterate:
- Fauzt
- Teganze
- Dunc
- Vizjun
- Triune

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PROS:
- Can get going fairly early on a budget if you want to just farm dunc.
- Has a fairly high ceiling.
- Farms incredibly fast and safe.
- Hipster as hell. No one else is doing it.

CONS:
- High cost if you wanna push hard.
- Can't lab.
- Psicrown is absolutely awful at targeting a singular thing.
- Psicrown is wonky. You deal more damage by VERY rapidly stutter stepping + casting vs just standing there and casting for some reason. Great recipe for carpel tunnel.

TSW
https://tsw.vn.cz/char/Shockolate/8e71

VIDEO SHOWCASE

CONCEPT

I only like playing oskills or things people consider weak, but are mechanically interesting. I then try to push those skills to their limit and it usually culminates in an overgeared character that would otherwise be weak if it wasn't for relic stacking. But we can't do that anymore :'(

This time around, I decided to go full meme and push Holy Shock.

Holy shock scales exclusively with energy and lightning pierce. Psicrown scales exclusively with energy and + skill levels. This makes gearing for these 2 skills fairly straight forward and synergistic.

Both skills are quite terrible on their own, but put together they carry each other's dead weight.

However, unlike Psicrown, it's important to understand that all you care about with holy shock is reaching the energy thresholds to reduce the amount of overall ticks necessary to kill mobs in the zones you'll be farming. Here is a rough breakdown of the total energy required to reach specific thresholds per zone:

► Show Spoiler

Paying attention to these thresholds will help make the build feel quite a bit smoother.

GEAR

► Show Spoiler

SKILLS

► Show Spoiler

CHARMS

Prioritize strength and energy on everything.

CONCLUSION

Holy Shock itself I believe is likely in a decent place. It can't do content on its own and that is probably intended by the devs. It lends itself well to Psicrown, but not much else. The Dream runeword's intention seems to imply Supernova should be the supporting skill, but that is ultimately a noob trap and performs SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Psicrown does at supporting Holy Shock.

If anything, I would like a shift in power on the Dream runeword to not mislead players but also to get the bit of power this build needs to get going without requiring outside help for charms and the mid game. Replacing Supernova levels with Psicrown and replacing lightning spell damage with % energy would make a big difference.
Edited by CMBurns 6 months.
Leafzer
Prowler
19 | 0
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
slowest build I've ever seen.

<3
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Dang, I think I might have underestimated just how bad Psicrown's damage was when I changed it to total energy...
CMBurns
Gravedigger
194 | 51
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Siosilvar wrote:Dang, I think I might have underestimated just how bad Psicrown's damage was when I changed it to total energy...

Well if you compare it 1:1, it's a "buff". But before, we also had relic stacking and levels really made a difference to compensate for the low base damage.

For example my previous version of this character used I think 8 relics? And my damage was around 17-18k at 12k energy. (17-18k really wasn't much. It was JUST beginning to be able to do scos quite slowly)

Now I have 12k energy again and my damage is about 12k.

Reaching 12k energy is a serious endeavor and 12k damage does not allow me to kill bosses in a reasonable amount of time. I also cannot do scos at all.

The skill has the mechanics to be really fun (barring the poor targeting for single target when there's other stuff around. That really makes it hard to kill etherborns and trees), but it suffers greatly in the mid game. You become really incapable of doing much other than helping holy shock clear the easy zones.

My suggested changes to Dream would help. And if you guys are against that, then maybe a further buff to Psicrown damage could be good too so it can be played as a solo skill.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1445 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Man, your loot notifier...
CMBurns
Gravedigger
194 | 51
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Istaryu wrote:Man, your loot notifier...

Blame my annoying friends who keep asking me to add shit to it for them.
BearBearderBarb
Pit Knight
118 | 8
What are thresholds for 1 ticking Defenders in TA?
CMBurns
Gravedigger
194 | 51
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
BearBearderBarb wrote:What are thresholds for 1 ticking Defenders in TA?

I didn't check for defenders for but normal zons it's around 9k? Maybe a bit less. It's pretty early on.
CMBurns
Gravedigger
194 | 51
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I've added a 2.7 update!

This build was already quite fun to play, but it's now less tedious, does more damage and is way more fun than before.
Taem
Necrobot
2476 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
This looks like one of the more interesting builds I've seen in awhile. I may actually come back to play this! Tell me, did you update your guide w the updated dmg threshholds for 2.7, or is the "tick" damage and energy the same?